Sunday, February 24, 2019

What Would Jefferson & Lincoln Think About America Today?






         To answer the question “What would Jefferson and Lincoln think about America today?” would mean that I would have to know what their vision for America was. I must admit, I do not know much about Jefferson and Lincoln as I spent most of my life living in Asia. Therefore, I was learning more about the history of Asia rather than the history of America.
         Although, what I do know about Jefferson is that he was a former president and one of the authors of the Declaration of Independence. Lincoln was a former president and one of his greatest accomplishments was abolishing slavery and preserving the union.
         After further research, I believe that if Jefferson were to see America today, he would be proud that the system of government that was established years ago is still being followed. Lincoln would be proud of how the country has remained united so far and how equality has progressed ever since he abolished slavery. On the other hand, Jefferson would most likely be upset with abortion laws and other laws frowned upon by the very religious, as Jefferson was a very religious man himself. He would also be disappointed with government overreach and corruption due to his belief in a government with limited power. Lincoln would be disappointed as he said “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” and today, the country seems more divided than ever, especially over these last few years. These two former presidents would have feelings of both disappointment and pleasure in how America has turned out today, however, I believe that overall they would be very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment